Images, Tables and Figures with Subtitle or caption

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Jadawin
New to all this

Images, Tables and Figures with Subtitle or caption

Post by Jadawin »

I can't find a function in Mellel that I thought was an essential feature of a word processor. I don't even know how to search for it.
When I insert an image into Mellel, I would like to assign a title or caption to that image, like you see in newspapers. In newspapers it appears right beyond the image and seems to be connected with the image itself. I want this caption to be below (or next to) the image, but *fixed* to that image. Do I really need to create a text field for this? And how can I group this with the image so that the two elements are *fixed* together and the title doesn't move when I move the image? I cannot find out how to manage that.
Thanks a lot.
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Images, Tables and Figures with Subtitle or caption

Post by DavidH »

if your captions are to follow inline images on the next line and have to stay on the same page, you need to exploit the Keep options in the Paragraph style box.

1. Set up one paragraph style, say Image, for the paragraphs that will contain your images.
2. Open the paragraph style box and choose the image style you’ve just set up.
3. Under the Keep options, change keep with next from 0 lines to 1 line.
(This joins the image and the first line of its caption.)
4. Set up another paragraph style, say Caption, for the captions.
5. Open the paragraph style box, choose the caption style you’ve just set up.
6. Under the Keep options, check Keep lines together.
(This keeps the caption itself from splitting over a page break.)

Then just apply the Image and Caption paragraph styles each time you add a captioned image.

There’s a thread in this forum from 2020, Keeping caption and figure together, that goes into greater detail about these issues.
Jadawin
New to all this

Post by Jadawin »

Dear David,

thank you very much for the detailled answer. I am quite confused because I thought a word processor like Mellel would have a simple tag function for that. I will follow your instructions.
Vaissiere
Read the guide!

Post by Vaissiere »

Actually, I do not think that this trick answers the question: if you move the image the caption will not follow. We need an actual "anchor" between the image and the caption.

yours

Etienne
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by DavidH »

True, and my apologies if I was misleading in my original post.

The steps I rehearsed don't "group" an image with its caption in such a way that copying, pasting, or dragging either one brings along the other as a matter of course. What they do accomplish is make sure the two are kept together in proper relation to one another on the same page or column. You still need to make sure image and caption are both selected if you intend to copy, paste, or move them as a unit. I never found that part much of a bother myself, but tastes differ.