Change the template for an existing document

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

markjulie
Got the auto-title mojo working

Change the template for an existing document

Post by markjulie »

I began writing a dissertation in 2020 with a default Mellel template. This year, I customized a CMOS (Chicago Manual of Style/Turabian) template for my current school with adaptations for its additional style guide (special formatting and SBL additions). How can I apply this new template to the existing document so that the new defined styles get applied? (The most significant bugs could be Auto-Titles and paragraph styles.) I have made changes to character, paragraph, section, and page styles to make them conform to each other but not creating new styles, e.g., associating a character style with a particular paragraph style on the default body page style.
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Change the template for an existing document

Post by Amontillado »

Would this be the correct procedure?

First, make a backup of your document.

If the new styles aren't already global, go into the new template and click the "make global" button in the edit styles window.

Then, load the new document and switch to the new style set in the styles pulldown window. The "match by style name" ought to work if you used the same style names.

For full disclosure, I'm replying for two reasons neither of which is that I particularly know much about Mellel.

One reason, I wish this forum was more active, and the other reason is because I'd like to know in what way my own understanding is flawed. I get a lot of good out of Mellel, and it rewards good understanding of features like styles and auto-titles.

Apologies to all if I'm over-posting.