Editing character and paragraph attributes of Auto-title

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

markjulie
Got the auto-title mojo working

Editing character and paragraph attributes of Auto-title

Post by markjulie »

I am tweaking a CMOS/Turabian template for use with a dissertation. I have several paragraph and associated character styles created that work well with body text and headers. I have watched Eyal's videos on auto-titles (AT) but am missing the step that associates an AT with a paragraph and character style. I have paragraph/character styles set for:
1) "CHAPTER" # with Line Break, Chapter name in ALL CAPS, center justified, single-spaced in Times
2) First subheading First Letter Cap, center justified, single-spaced, italicized in Times
3) Second subheading First Letter Cap, center justified, single-spaced,regular in Times
4) Third subheading First Letter Cap, left justified with no indent, single-spaced, italicized in Times
5) Fourth subheading First Letter Cap, left justified with no indent, single-spaced,regular in Times
I open Configure Auto-Titles > Main Format, clear formatting, and enter the elements. (In this window I cannot access the tab well when I click on it as I can in the paragraph styles). Do I additionally need to manually apply a paragraph style (and associated char style) to the AT stream every time I use it?

Mark
Mellel 5.1.2r4 on Big Sur 11.6.6
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Editing character and paragraph attributes of Auto-title

Post by Amontillado »

An auto-title is not associated with any single character or paragraph type - you can use as many as you want in any auto-title.

Open the palettes before you go into the auto-title configuration. Apply styles from the palettes window just as you would in the main editor window.

To make new paragraphs in an auto-title, insert a line break from the "insert element" drop down menu.

Hope that helps. A feature I'd like to see is for auto-titles to be like complete documents. For instance, I'd like to be able to insert a graphic in chapter headings.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

am missing the step that associates an AT with a paragraph and character style.
After you have opened Configure Auto-Titles > Main Format and entered your element or elements, you need to select the element(s) of the heading and then, while they are selected, double-click on the associated paragraph style in the paragraph pane. This will associate the chosen paragraph style with the Auto-Title.
Do I additionally need to manually apply a paragraph style (and associated char style) to the AT stream every time I use it?
If you save the changes to the template you only need to do this once.
markjulie
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by markjulie »

Thanks to Amontillado and Icelander. The short list of steps that I gleaned from your advice has worked. They are:

1. Create a paragraph style and an associated character style for each level of auto-title stream (I chose to create an identical stream name, paragraph style and character style for each auto-title, but existing par and char styles also work.)

2. Insert > Configure auto-titles > Click on the Main Format tab to edit individual streams

3. Select a structure level and Edit

4. Select and delete all the elements in the workspace under the ruler

5. Clear formatting

6. Insert Elements for the stream

7, Highlight all the elements (Cmd A or click and drag)

8. Select Paragraph Styles in the Palettes

9. Apply the style that was created for this stream in Step 1 (This is the place to set the formatting that will be saved into the style set in a template)

10. Click Done in the upper right area of the stream area and change other items

11. In Mellel 5, Save changes to style at the top of the window.

Repeat the same procedure for the TOC Format tab to style the TOC. Return to the Streams tab to select whether a particular stream will be included in the TOC (smaller subheadings will be excluded) and whether to include other figures, illustrations, and other items in the body of the TOC or as addenda.
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

That’s pretty much it, but if you want you can have text and variables of different styles within an auto-title. For instance, you could hack “Chaoter X” in one style and your actual chapter name in another, all within the auto-title.