Resizing vs. cropping, what happened?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Giovanni
Got the styles thing figured out

Resizing vs. cropping, what happened?

Post by Giovanni »

I was complaining because Mellel does not allow to crop images but only to resize them.

Suddenly, my Mellel started CROPPING only images and not any longer RESIZE them.

What happened? A new mind reading technology? And how can I revert back to resizing?

Thanks for any help!
Giovanni
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: Resizing vs. cropping, what happened?

Post by Giovanni »

I discovered that it depends from the images from the original document (Word import).

Some images resize, other crop.

But so, is cropping possible?
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by DavidH »

The Mac OS supports a wide variety of file formats for images. When an image imported into Mellel is in a format that allows for free resizing, Mellel will resize it. When it is in a format that doesn’t allow for this, a format that simply represents the image as a rectangular array of pixels, it may sometimes crop an image since it can’t resize it. Which behavior you get depends on how the image was made in the first place — the fact that you’re pasting it from Word shouldn’t make a difference. The basic point made in the other forum still applies: if controlled cropping is what you want, you need to do it in another application prior to importing the image.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

In Mellel you have two fitting modes for images, "scale to fit" - the image is scaled to fit the frame, or "float in frame", the image is displayed in its original size and the frame controls how much of it is displayed (you might call it "crop").
At any rate, you can switch between the fitting modes by double-clicking the image and then choosing the mode in the "fitting mode" popup menu.
When in "float in frame" mode, you can change the exposed part of the image by option-clicking the image and moving the mouse around while holding the button down.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Amontillado »

Timely advice - I had a picture that needed cropping for a letter I'm writing to some icky tax appraisers. Normally, I do my cropping and other tuning in Affinity Photo. The float in frame gambit was quicker.

I was unsure at first how to scale the image to get the part I wanted to just fill the frame size I created.

The answer is, for most purposes, leave the padlock icon in the locked position. That locks the aspect ratio of the image.

Then, type a horizontal or vertical size in percent or dimensional units. When you tab out of the size field, the image is zoomed and keeps its proportions.

Option-drag will then recenter what you're looking for in the frame.