Location of Endnotes amd bibliographies

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

laup
Knows everything, can prove it

Location of Endnotes amd bibliographies

Post by laup »

Is it possible to specify that endnotes appear at the end of a section, page range, or some other unit corresponding to a book chapter, and that the numbering of said endnotes restarts thereafter?

Similarly, is it possible--using Bookends--to have separate bibliographies chapter by chapter?
Paul
Icelander

Re: Location of Endnotes amd bibliographies

Post by Icelander »

Hello my dear Paul,
Are you becoming old and forgetful like me? I saw you elaborate on this topic in 2011 and provide several work-arounds … which all did not work, of course, because, as far as I know, this much-needed feature is simply still not available in Mellel. :–((

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3818&p=20224
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3665
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2565

A similar problem is a way to get the bibliography after the endnotes. The first post I found about this is from 2007!
viewtopic.php?t=1350

These are recurrent problems that keep popping up every few months, or so. It's a great help for me when I vaguely remember that I already posted about a certain topic years ago on this forum. I can then read my old posts again and thus teach myself stuff that I had long forgotten. -- What I'm trying to say is, I have become my own best teacher. :–)

PS
My preferred solution to the above mentioned problem is to use Nisus Writer Pro. There you can have endnotes and a bibliography at the end of each section (or chapter.)
Last edited by Icelander on Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Last edited by Icelander on Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

OK, boys and gals… Here you have a solution that should work.

1. Create a Static Group in Bookends for each article (chapter) in the book. If the book has 10 chapters, you will need 10 Static Groups.
2. When entering citations in Mellel, do it exclusively via the "Citation" command (Edit > Copy Formatted > Citation). This means, the citations are text (not Dynamic Objects as they are usually in Mellel.)
3. When you want to create a bibliography for Chapter One, place the insertion point where you want the bibliography to appear in Mellel.
4. In Bookends, go to the Static Group for Chapter 1. Select all references in this Static Group and execute the "Bibliography"-command from Edit > Copy Formatted > Bibliography. A bibliography will be created at the location you determined in step 3.
5. For the rest of the chapters, repeat steps 3 and 4 until all chapters have a bibliography.
Last edited by Icelander on Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
laup

Post by laup »

Icelander, yes, I'm getting old and sometimes forget things. However, I remembered posting the issue of chapter endnotes "years ago" and hoped that the matter had been addressed. After all, Mellel has had a lot of major imprvements in the last decade. Unfortunately, that seems not to be the case.

The suggestion on using Bookends' Static Groups is intriguing, thanks. However, if I understand you, the citations would not be automatically corrected if the reference in the Bookends library were changed. If that's so, then perhaps the method could be used at the very end, after the manuscript is complete. Its there a tidy way to turn chapter's citations from dynamic objects into static-group objects? Or something equivalent?
Paul
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Getting old and forgetful was just a silly joke. Glad you didn't find it offensive. :–)
perhaps the method could be used at the very end, after the manuscript is complete.
That would be a very bad solution.

the citations would not be automatically corrected if the reference in the Bookends library were changed
That's correct. But why should a reference need to be changed?

Given that I have not overlooked something important, there is no need to change references in the Bookends library once they have been entered correctly.
If we import a reference into Bookends directly from a good online library and if the import filters in Bookends are correct, then the information is automatically put into the right fields. Since my online library doesn't make a distinction between an author and an editor, I need to clean that up manually. Then I enter the type and keywords, and I'm done. Once everything is in place, there is no need to tamper with this reference in future. It remains forever like it is.

[Of course we can later add or remove comments or add a few notes to a certain reference. That is irrelevant here because the notes and the comment field are usually never a part of a reference style.]

The only hazard I see along the way is when we start changing the *settings* in Bookends, i.e. when we choose another format (APA instead of MLA, for example.) Therefore one should make sure that one knows beforehand what style format the publisher requires and stick to it during the writing process.

Its there a tidy way to turn chapter's citations from dynamic objects into static-group objects? Or something equivalent?
I don't understand the question. Automatic citations and references in Mellel are Dynamic Objects. Static Groups are groups in Bookends you drag references into. They have nothing to do with Mellel or any other word processor for that matter.
If, however, you meant changing dynamic objects in Mellel into text only, i.e. remove the "dynamic" character, if that's what you meant, then the only way I could find is

1. Go to Bookends and select the citation whose dynamic form you want to change in Mellel
2. Then execute the "Citation"-command (Edit > Copy Formatted > Citation)
3. Then go back to Mellel, select the dynamic citation and paste. This will remove the Dynamic Objects form and paste the citation back as *text*
Last edited by Icelander on Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philippgerard
New to all this

Post by philippgerard »

Wouldn't it be possible to add a placeholder "<bibliography goes here after parsing>" to the document to determine where it goes? This is how Nisus Writer does it and the randomness of Mellels approach is a bit confusing to me. Copy & paste kind of works every other time but really, why?