Applying page style changes entire document instead of point of application forward

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

markjulie
Got the auto-title mojo working

Applying page style changes entire document instead of point of application forward

Post by markjulie »

I have created a dissertation template for CMOS/Turabian with Mellel 5.1.3 on Big Sur 11.7. There is a page style for front matter, another for back matter, another for TOC, and another for chapters. Front matter uses lowercase Roman numerals in the footer, unnumbered first page, then Arabic numerals in the top right; and I move back and forth between single and double spacing depending upon page style. When I apply a style to a page it works as expected. However when I transition from front matter to TOC to body of document, I want to change a style from the insertion point forward (mixing several page styles in the same document). Currently, any single change effects the entire document. I need to switch page style numbering from Roman to Arabic numerals after the front matter, but the new page style gets applied to the entire document. I have added a page style break to see if that makes a difference, but to no avail. Either the whole doc takes on the front matter style or the body style. (Paragraph and character settings are fine.) Help please.
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Applying page style changes entire document instead of point of application forward

Post by Amontillado »

This confused me the first time I saw it too, but it's actually pretty easy. Check out the book template that's part of the standard Mellel installation. It has different page styles in different parts of the template.

Basically, page styles work on page ranges. A page range is all the pages between page style breaks. The start of the file and the end of the file count to delimit page ranges, too.

So, you fire up an empty document and start typing. Any page style you select affects the whole document.

Let's say you've got five pages. Go to page three and enter a page style break (Insert->breaks->page style break).

Now you've got two page ranges. Put the cursor anywhere before the page style break and choose a page style in the palette. That will affect the first half of the document.

Go anywhere after the page style break and a page style selection there will affect only the second part.

It helps to make the page style breaks visible with View->show hidden->page style breaks.

A page style break also serves as a page break, so you don't need to have both a page break and a page style break back-to-back. That will cause a blank page to appear. Turn on visibility of page breaks and delete the unneeded page break to get rid of the unneeded blank page.

Hope that helps.