What kind of "remarks" do you enter in Remarks?

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

What kind of "remarks" do you enter in Remarks?

Post by Icelander »

One nice feature in Mellel is the possibility to attach "remarks" to Auto-titles and bookmarks.

1. How many of you are using this feature?
2. What kind of "remarks" exactly do you enter in this field?
3. How many of you would also like to have the ability to export the remarks to a new (separate) file?
Amontillado

Re: What kind of "remarks" do you enter in Remarks?

Post by Amontillado »

I haven't made much use of the remarks feature, but it's nice that it's there. If you turn on "show bookmarks" in the outline pane, it could help to see a note-to-self associated to bookmarks and titles.
DavidH

Post by DavidH »

I have had limited experience with this feature, since my documents are usually on the short side. My bookmarks are usually temporary, to facilitate future reorganization, and I sometimes use a remark to remind myself what a bookmark is for and how I need to act on it before I delete it. Right now we can display the outline with or without the remarks showing. There may be cases where exporting the outline with or without the remarks might come in handy as well. But I’m hazy about the details and not sure what the most useful export format would be.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Icelander wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:36 am One nice feature in Mellel is the possibility to attach "remarks" to Auto-titles and bookmarks.
The feature reminds me vaguely of the legendary old outliner MORE. MORE was written for Classic Mac OS and unfortunately never made it to OS X. I find this particularly sad because MORE has no equivalent under OS X and macOS. <http://outliners.com/more31.html>

I guess if one intends to get the most out of Mellel one should spare no Remarks, Tags and Markers in the Outline. With some forethought, remarks can be categorized based on the content. Thus, if the Remarks field contains bibliographical information, one can write β at the beginning of the field and then use "β" [or any other special character] to filter and see all remarks in the outline that contain bibliographical information.

This is nice, but there are also some omissions:
1. Remarks can only consist of one paragraph.
2. Remarks can only support plain text.
3. Text in Remarks can not be searched in the Find & Replace box. Therefore, as an alternative, an option of exporting all the remarks as text would be nice. Currently, remarks are locked in, and that makes me hesitant about using this feature. … Of course one can pull them out, one by one, per copy & paste, but … is that an elegant solution if you have dozens or even hundreds of remarks? I don't think so!
DavidH wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:08 am "I’m […] not sure what the most useful export format would be."
Plain text — because the remarks are all in plain text.

Finally, I admit, I may be barking up the wrong tree. Perhaps one should not read more into this as it currently is: just very short "remarks" with no frills … Or, as Amontillado put it, it's nice that it's there.