Footnotes & Endnotes

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

c paul b
New to all this

Footnotes & Endnotes

Post by c paul b »

Is there any means in Mellel by which one can use both footnotes and endnotes in a document?
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Footnotes & Endnotes

Post by Amontillado »

Yes, that's possible. It's not bending any rules at all. Use Insert->Note->Footnote to set a footnote to appear on the same page as the reference.

Insert->Note->Endnote will insert a note that will appear at the end of the document.

That's sort of the out-of-the-box way. "Footnote" and "Endnote" are defined under Insert->Note->Edit Note Attributes, or you can edit the Notes in the style editor. If you add your own or delete the ones already there, your setups will appear in the Insert->Note menu. Each type of footnote or endnote you define is it's own stream, in Mellel lingo. Numbering is independent in each stream.

The notes types are part of the style set.

The operative difference between the pre-defined footnotes and endnotes is the footnotes are defined to appear at the bottom of the page. The endnotes are defined to appear at the end of the document. There is an option to place the note "below text". I believe that's to put endnotes below the column the reference appears in.

Hope that helps.
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by DavidH »

There are a lot of details concerning how footnotes and endnotes are marked and managed that you can adjust via Insert > Note > Edit Note Attributes. There's a detailed description in the Mellel Guide. You might want to change the type of reference symbol used for endnotes, for instance.

Amontillado mentions the Placement options for note streams. Bottom of page gives you conventional footnotes, appearing at the bottom of the page. End of document gives you conventional endnotes, appearing at the end of the document. The middle option, End of text, gives you notes that immediately follow whatever text there turns out to be on a given page. So if there were only a couple lines on a page, the notes would move up the page to cling to the text instead of staying at the bottom of the physical page.
c paul b
New to all this

Post by c paul b »

Many thanks to you both. I have practised and found it so—even the keyboard shortcuts.

To date I have used purely footnotes, certainly my preference in writing and reading. Nonetheless the book, now almost complete on religion and the Great War (using South Australia as my archival base) has footnotes requiring over 50,000 words. Some archival references are absurdly but unavoidably long and are repeated occasionally, for I have written of a great many (mostly civilian) families or families of soldiers and on clergy as parents, pastors and, in 30 or so instances, soldiers. I have tried to provide basic biographical details of every person mentioned and these details should remain as footnotes, yet some of those require their own sourcing. Tricky, but thanks again.