Two Problems with 5.1 3r1

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

o0Mellel0o
Got the auto-title mojo working

Two Problems with 5.1 3r1

Post by o0Mellel0o »

I recently upgraded to 5.1 3r1 from 4.2.7 I think or it might have been something in between (It is on a stubborn old system that is having boot problems and not easily accessible currently).

My newest system is a Mac M1 running Big Sur and I was able to install that older copy of Mellel and work on files originating on the old system and older version of Mellel. The version of Mellel was the same on the old system and new M1 system. I had no issue with that old version of Mellel. I was able to open a doc originating on that old system and work on it with the new Mac M1 system.

1. Turquoise background color:

So I am now on the M1 running Mellel 5.1 3r1 and I open this doc I had previously worked on this system but using the older version of Mellel. There is now a turquoise background on all pages except the first page. When I go into Document Setup where there is a Background color option it shows white yet most of the document has this unwanted turquoise. If I change the white swatch to a color all of the turquoise pages stay turquoise but the one white page changes to the color selected.

This document also opens as locked. In order to edit it I have to duplicate it. Both have the turquoise. None of my other older to new version works in process have required this.

This does not effect all older version originating docs though. So far I have only encountered this with one specificc document. I have not dug into archives to see if it shows up elsewhere.

Worth noting, When I upgraded to 4.2.7 from an earlier version and opened existing docs created with an earlier version some graphics (outlines of tables) which were black showed up in turquoise. According to this post this was corrected in an update.
https://forum.mellel.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3739. This background problem I am describing now is not necessarily the same thing, I only know how that appeared in my docs but I do not know how it appeared for others reporting similar issues. It is interesting that the color is turquoise again though.

( This is my original thread regarding that issue: https://forum.mellel.com/viewtopic.php?p=19894#p19894 )

2. Mellel generated PDF, some text cannot be selected:

I created a PDF using 5.1 3r1 and when I select text in order to copy and paste it some text can be selected while other text cannot. I have not experienced this anywhere before. This doc is a database for URL's and logins among other things. I set it up with bookmarks so I can quickly navigate to a category. Then I select the text for a log in and password and paste them into fields on websites. Some of these are complicated and this makes the process much easier.

UPDATE 2/1/23 PM: I did some experimenting and discovered that this inability to select some text is tied to the cursor. If I use Select All I can select all of the text. However if I try to select text using the cursor this is where some can be selected and others cannot be selected. There are also blocks which select while other do not. The individual non-selectable words seem to be grouped in blocks of text. An adjacent column distinguished by a tab space is selectable but the adjacent column of text is not.

Thank you
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Two Problems with 5.1 3r1

Post by Amontillado »

On the background color, you can set that in two places.

A section style can have a background color.

You can also set the background color as an attribute. I think the new attribute will set the background color for the current page and all following pages.

The section style applies to everything in the section where attributes, like background color, haven't been set in the attributes tab.

If you ended up with a section break for every page, you would have to change the style, not the individual attributes, to make a global change.

Find and replace can find every section break and delete it.
o0Mellel0o
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by o0Mellel0o »

I went to the floating palette and looked at the Page settings. There, the background showed white. I clicked on it and the Color palette opened and white was highlighted. I clicked on white anyway and it changed the turquoise to white.

This only showed up after Mellel was updated to 5.1.3r1.

In the two places where background can be customized it did not show turquoise.

It is strange from my perspective. There must be some conflict in the code and being turquoise again seems like it should be a clue.

As long as I am able to override the turquoise I am content.

I am also grateful. "Amontillado Knows everything, can prove it." You do know everything I need you to know at least. :-)

Thank you!
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Amontillado »

Very kind of you! I like to explore issues brought up here because I've found it an excellent way to learn how Mellel goes about business. The more I learn, the more I appreciate the insight applied to Mellel.