Question regarding page numbering...

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Ps23Rick
Got the styles thing figured out

Question regarding page numbering...

Post by Ps23Rick »

So.. I've got a doc that has a coversheet (like for a book) which is a full-sized image (no text) and Mellel is obviously considering that page 1.

But I have a preface one the 2nd physical page and it's what I was wanting to be page 1 but instead it's 2. If I want to force Mellel to set the 2nd physical page as page 1 what is the best way to do that? I went into the page styles and have a "front/back matter" style in place but don't see anything indicating what I'm wanting to do. thoughts?
Ps23Rick

Re: Question regarding page numbering...

Post by Ps23Rick »

I'll admit that I'm a bit stumped by the page numbering stuff in Mellel with respect to Auto-Titles. I've got a blank doc -- with an empty title page using the Auto-title "title page" set and then the page after it (page 2) has a preface paragraph (using a self-defined "front/back matter" auto-title and I want roman numerals there in the footer.

But the page number always shows as ii instead of what I want which is "I" (1). In setting the features of the auto-title it seems like checking or unchecking of the option to "reset numbering with parent stream" doesn't have any effect. I'm sure I'm missing something easy peasy but it's just eluding me at the moment.
Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Icelander »

If I want to force Mellel to set the 2nd physical page as page 1 what is the best way to do that? […] I'm a bit stumped by the page numbering stuff in Mellel with respect to Auto-Titles.

You are barking up the wrong tree. Auto-titles have nothing to do with page numbering. Instead, do this:

1. Place the insertion point at the end of the blank page (currently page 1)
2. Insert > Breaks > Page Style Break
3. You are now on the next page (currently page 2).
4. Open Page > Attribute palette
5. Enable "Different first page"
6. Enable "Footer"
7. Enable "Start at" and set it to "1"
8. Set the Numbering to Roman (i, ii, iii)
9. Now place the insertion point somewhere in your blank page (which still counts as page 1).
10. Enable "Different first page"
11. Enable "Start at" and set it to "0" … and you're done!

Now the blank page has the number 0, and the next page starts with Roman (i).
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by DavidH »

You need to be using Page attributes to do this, not Auto-Titles. (The numbering options on Auto-Titles affect how numbers in the Auto-Titles themselves behave, not how page numbers behave on the pages where the Auto-Titles occur.)

When you set up a styling for page numbers in the Page Palette (including whether there should be page numbers at all) that styling remains in effect until you insert a page style break

Insert > Break > Page Style Break

to create what Mellel calls a new page range. You can use the Page Palette to make any desired changes for upcoming pages. You can also use the Page Palette to control where the numbering starts in a given page range. See Page Formatting in the manual for details.
Ps23Rick

Post by Ps23Rick »

Thanks guys! I think for me part of my issue is having used Word for so long that its methodologies are in-grained in my head and using anything else (e.g. Mellel) that uses a different set of paradigms is a bit of a learning curve for me. I've still got people asking me why I'm not using MS Word! Word may be good for some things but any large documents -- I'll pass!

In a few hours I'll have the time & opportunity to go through your suggestions and try things out. I REALLY appreciate your responses! I'm sure I'll have other questions but for now this is the one for me. Thanks!!
Ps23Rick

Post by Ps23Rick »

Hi guys.. I just wanted to drop a quick followup.. I was able to apply your suggestions and they worked perfectly! I now have my preface page (physical page 2) as "I" (roman numeral "1") as I was looking for. I better understand the mechanics involved and will know how to do this in the future. Thanks much for the nudge in the right direction!