MathMagic and Mellel

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

laup
Knows everything, can prove it

MathMagic and Mellel

Post by laup »

The Mellel Guide now has a sentence saying that one can copy and paste equations from Mellel back into MathMagic for editing. It doesn't say what version of MathMagic. The Lite version is freee. The advanced versions are hundreds of dollars, and are intended for users of InDesign.

I tried MathMagic Lite. I can use its "Copy as .png" option to past equations into Mellel. The interface is nice and the equations look good. However,
• I was unable to ouse drag and drop.
• And, of course, I was unable to copy and paste back into MathMagic for editing.
• I was unable to copy from MathMagic using formats like pdf, which apparently allow two-way movement.

It is possible that I am just doing things wrong and that some or all of this functionality is available with MathMagic Lite. If so, I'd like to know the special incantation.
Paul
laup

Re: MathMagic and Mellel

Post by laup »

I missed the "Personal Edition," which is $59.00. Sorry for the misinformation originally. I'll test the Personal Edition within a day or two.
Paul
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

I am very interested in this. My math skills are horrendous. I just dabble, but it's important (to me) dabbling.

My favorite math notebook at present is Zengobi's Curio with MathJax. It would be awesome to have equation editing integrated with Mellel, even if in an external product.
laup

Post by laup »

I bought MathMagic Personal (Education) for $49. I can "Copy as PDF" and paste to move a MM equation into Mellel. I can use copy and paste to move the equation back to MM for editing. So, that's a biggie.

2. The equation's baseline is wrong but can be adjusted upward by editing the Mellel image by 2 points or, if the equation is in a separate line, by using a special paragraph style. As I recall, Eyal fixed Melell to avoid a similar problem with the old MathType, but that may not yet be possible (MM refers in a FAQ to its smart-baseline feature not yet working for Word in Macs, so I assume there's a problem with Mellel also).

MM does not have automatic numbering but Mellel permits it, as illustrated in the IEEE template. The trick is using a special paragraph style, as well as an auto-title caption stream.

I have not figured out how to use Drag and Drop with MM. I suspect that there is a setting that I need to change so that sliding will cause the equation to go into the target document in a better size. Currently, it's several times too large.
Paul