auto titles formatting

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

dr.cox
Got the styles thing figured out

auto titles formatting

Post by dr.cox »

Dear All,

after having used Mellel last time about 5-6 years ago I'm ready to write my PhD and upgraded to Mellel 6. I've started my outline of chapters and paragraphs and I'm struggling with applying different heading formats (numbered vs unnumbered for example) to different headings. It always applies it to all of them. What am I doing wrong?

I'm trying to find some time to rewatch the tutorials but I'm also needing quite some time to get my tinderbox skills up to scratch so there is a limit to my time. I hope popping in here to ask the occasional questions to speed up the reacquaintance process I'd be very grateful.

best wishes,

J.
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: auto titles formatting

Post by Amontillado »

Can you link to a sample file, perhaps on Dropbox?
dr.cox

Post by dr.cox »

Hi,

I don't do dropbox but here is a wetransfer link that is valid for 7 days.

https://we.tl/t-G1Lq2uLZHC

Hope this helps and thanks for looking in to this.

best wishes,

J.
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Amontillado »

Herr Doktor Cox,

Thanks for the chance to look at your setup and dust off a little German at the same time.

My maternal grandparents were born in America of German immigrants. My Mom didn't speak English until she was old enough to attend school, and my grandmother tutored me in German long ago. I was conversational then. Through disuse I'm ashamed to say I've lost the language.

I think I see the problem in your document. The easiest way to explain this is going to be starting at the style set level and drilling down to using a specific auto-title.

The quick answer first - when you choose an Auto-Title style in the Palettes, you set a group of Auto-Title streams for the whole document. If you want some Auto-Titles numbered and others not, create Auto-Title streams for both variants within a single Auto-Title style. You can have multiple streams at the same level.

For example, you could have a level 2 stream called Numbered Chapter and another level 2 stream called Unnumbered Chapter.

Here are some obsessive details.

Some of the terms may seem to overlap. I'll do my best to stick to Mellel nomenclature.

Please open your document and choose Styles->Edit Style Sets. Your klassisch style set should be highlighted in the left-hand list of style sets.

Choose the Auto-Title tab over the right-hand region of this window.

There are three "styles" of Auto-Titles listed, unnummereiert, Nummeriert, und Automatischer Einzug (unnumbered, numbered, and automatic indent).

Choose one and click the pencil button to edit it. Each one lists five structure streams, Titel, Kopfzeile 1, Kopfzeile 2, Kopfzeile 3, and Kopfzeile 4 (title and header 1 through 4), and three caption streams, Abbildung Untertitel, Bildunterzeile, and Tabelenüberschrift (figure subtitles, image caption, and table heading).

That's the hierarchy of how Auto-Titles are defined. A style set contains styles. Styles contain (along with a lot of other things) Auto-Titles. Auto-Titles contain their own kind of styles. Finally, Auto-Title styles contain streams.

"Styles" in the context of Auto-Titles refers to groups of streams.

Now let's look at how styles are used in a document, drilling down to Auto-Title usage.

You can choose a style set from the Styles pulldown menu. This is how you select which styles of any kind, Auto-Title or otherwise, are going to be available in your document.

Open the Palettes with either Command-* or Window->Palettes.

Auto-Titles in the Palettes has two tabs. The Styles tab is where you pick your group of stream configurations for the whole document. You can't intermix streams from different Auto-Title styles.

Once you've chosen an Auto-Title style for your document, the Attributes tab is where you pick which Auto-Title stream to use.

I believe the reasoning is that you may need to re-style your Auto-Titles to meet format requirements that may change over time. When you pick an Auto-Title style, every auto-title stream (chapter heading, section title, etc.) changes in lockstep.

If you switch to an Auto-Title style that doesn't define like-named streams, you'll get a window where you can assign which new stream definition gets assigned to old stream setups.

The reason switching Auto-Title styles changes every heading is that is how Mellel is designed. To achieve what you need, some auto-titles numbered and others not, create a single Auto-Title style with streams that use number elements as needed.

If any of this misses the mark, please let me know. I'll try to clarify.

There is something to be aware of. In the style set edit window, if you delete a structure stream it deletes that stream and every child stream under it. If you want to delete a single stream with children from the middle of the list without deleting its child streams, drag it to the bottom, then delete it. If you end up with a skipped Auto-Title level, Mellel will offer to automatically fix the issue.

Anyway, hope that helps. Mellel is lots of fun.
dr.cox

Post by dr.cox »

Hi Amontillado,

thank you very much for the detailed explanation. This is very much appreciated. I'll try and implement / follow over the weekend and will get back to you then. BTW, I'm sure you could brush up on your German easily having been fluent at some point in your life.

Best wishes,

Doc_C