Default document variable values

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

mkenney
Read the guide!

Default document variable values

Post by mkenney »

Recently, I have begun to make use of the document variables for such information as my name, work and home addresses, etc. When I was setting the default names and variables, I forget to enter my email and website addresses. I then began a new document in order to update my CV (I also created a style set specifically for my CV). Of course, when I went to enter my email and website addresses via document variables, they were not there. I have since gone back to enter the correct values for those variables, but they still will not show up in the document that I began before making the update to the document variable defaults. It seems that this is how Mellel should act, at least based on the guide.

I suppose that one may not want changes to the default values or names to propogate throughout every document, but now I have to start over with a fresh document in order to get those new values into my document. Does anyone know a work around? Am I just doing something wrong? Again, I clearly do not know everything about Mellel. Indeed, the more I use it the more I seem not to understand!
Mart°n
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Mart°n »

You could set the variables on a per document basis. If you create a new document, the variables set in the preferences will be published to the new document (as you’ve already seen).
If you like to change the variable in a existing document, you could choose File › Document Info… from the menu bar and edit all the variables of the current document.
mkenney
Read the guide!

Post by mkenney »

I would like to set the default values of certain variables and have those values be retroactive. However, it is not such a big deal. I don't think that I'll ever use them for information other than my name, addresses, phone numbers. Now that they are set, I should be ok from here on out. Perhaps I should make a feature request so that one could choose to have variable values be genuinely global and effect every document, new or old.

Thanks for your help.