Open Word Files

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

RFS
Got the styles thing figured out

Open Word Files

Post by RFS »

Is there an easy way to open Word files from the finder w/ Mellel. The services menu only opens Mellel w/ an icon of a word file... not the selected Word doc.

Any promise of a control key option or does anyone know how to accomplish this w/ a Quicksilver trigger.... tried but could not do it. Most of my files come to me as Word... would be nice to have an easy open option.

-bob
nicka
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by nicka »

Just to check...

You know that dragging the file onto Mellel -- on the desktop or in the dock -- will do it?
RFS

Post by RFS »

Did not know about the drag to Mellel icon... thank you.... A great help. Still looking for keyboard/mouse options.

-bob
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Use the finder context-menu "open with..." for individual doc-files. If you use the option-key additional you can set the file to be opened each time with the application of your choice.

If you want to set every doc-file on your Mac to be opened with Mellel by default install the additional free SystemPreference http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/ and use it to set doc to be opened with Mellel or whatever application you want.
Reiner
RFS

Post by RFS »

Neither of those options work. Using the contextual menu in finder does not give Mellel as an option.... I can go under "Other" and search through all my apps to eventually get to Mellel. The using control/option keys together or option key alone does not give me the results you mentioned. What am I missing? In know that I can assign Mellel to individual Word or ALL doc files using "Get Info" and designating the individual file or "change all".

My system: MBP 10.4.9
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

In quicksilver, using the "open with" command seems to work!
RFS

Post by RFS »

I think I have done what you suggested.... it brings up a "document rendering" window and takes very long.... 5 min. for a simple one page Word doc. Then when almost complete.... Mellel crashes.

-bob
RFS

Post by RFS »

I think I figured out the crash... now... can I develop a quicksilver key that will open any highlighted Word file or is it file specific?

bob
rwg

Post by rwg »

I would suggest trying Finderpop:

http://www.finderpop.com/

I was able to open a .doc file almost instantly with Mellel by this method.

Rolf
RFS

Post by RFS »

Thanks for the tip. Nice to be able to open with contextual menue! Easier than everything else I tried. Could not get the quicksilver thing to work.

I'm sure the Finderpop does a lot but if only opens Word docs directly from the Finder its great!

-bob