Wishlist 2008

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Boban
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Wishlist 2008

Post by Boban »

Aside from the usual items for the wishlist (cross refs and indexing) I would like to be able to have footnote numbers, with no full stop, followed by a tab. One of my publishers has this as a house style (superscript fn number, tab, note text).

As ever,

B.
ozean

Post by ozean »

Boban wrote:I would like to be able to have footnote numbers, with no full stop, followed by a tab.
This is already possible – did you check the settings in the note section in Style Sets > Edit Style Sets… and in Insert > Note > Edit Note Attributes… ?
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

frvs

Post by frvs »

daiyi wrote:2.5
I beg your pardon? Yes, April Fool's day is a fun date. Ah, but who would believe these days that 2.5 will be out before we all have turned into very old people brooding upon how successful our distant academic careers might have been if only we had had that very complete and miraculous word-processor we SOOOO longed for?
Boban

Post by Boban »

I tried to post a reply, but must have hit the wrong button or something; my post is gone (and I can't be bothered to retype the entire thing at this moment). Nevertheless, there is no option for footnote numbers to be: # + tab; they all have brackets or a full stop or something else....

B.
ozean

Post by ozean »

here it is (screenshot taken from in Insert > Note > Edit Note Attributes…):
footnote-tab.png
Boban

Post by Boban »

Oh dear, you're right; sorry about that. I had assumed (without trying) that 'none' meant, well, 'none'. All sorted now. Another Mellel dream come true.

B.
fastmiso
Already downloaded the guide

Post by fastmiso »

One thing that hasn't come up in a long time is Conditional Text, something I used a lot in FrameMaker. (The last [and only?] mention, I think, was by ptram: http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php? ... onal#p5255.)

I suppose that, in the case of academics, the conditional text is often of the sort 'if ($reader == "self") {}', so the Comments feature request gets more attention. But I just want to emphasize that, even in the case of 'if ($reader == self) {}', I would much rather have those paragraphs in-line, with whatever formatting and citations I had, than in the margin in some Post-It Note-looking text widget. And, as in ptram's post, the benefits for technical writers is also clear (for example, 'if ($version == "Pro") {}').

Not sure if I'm alone on this, but had to mention it. Today there happens to be a wacky idea I want to apply 'if ($reader != "press")' to.
Boban

Post by Boban »

I hesitate to ask, but is there any ETA for next Mellel update and what it might include?

B.
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

I note the latest Macworld, in it short blurb about other word processors, mentions Mariner Write and Nisus Pro, but doesn't mention Mellel. Maybe they know what the rest of us are reluctant to admit - Mellel's development is all but dead.
Boban

Post by Boban »

Cripes! I'd like to know this sooner, rather than later, as I am well into a large book project.

B.
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

soliphint wrote:I note the latest Macworld, in it short blurb about other word processors, mentions Mariner Write and Nisus Pro, but doesn't mention Mellel. Maybe they know what the rest of us are reluctant to admit - Mellel's development is all but dead.

Not true, but I'll need to explain the circumstances of the last year a bit. In laymen's terms, and without getting into complicated programming terms, what happened this year is the following:
A. One of the developers gained a new home, a girlfriend, her two sons (and two dog).
B. The second gained a new home and a girlfriend.
C. The third said goodbye to all that and A and B had to find someone to replace him.
D. And an additional programmer.
Hence, it would not be too presumptuous of me to claim that within the fair borders of reasonable doubt A and B got a life and during that getting of life had less time to devout to development.

It would have been nice of reality to introduce all those changes at once and not piecemeal, but this is not how it happened.

Anyway, life permitting, we intend to go in 2008 and get to the fast pace of development that typified the first five years of Mellel (2002-2006)...

Ori
Ori Redler from RedleX
ozean

Post by ozean »

It's good to hear that the reasons for the delays were good reasons, i.e. nice things happened to you instead of bad things like accidents! I also actually like this about small software companies – they are real people, who can thus listen and act according to arguments concerning quality more than quantity. I don't want to Mellel to be written primarily according to “the laws of the market” – I like Mellel to be written according to what some nice people agree upon as being good, high quality software.

(So now I put on my wishlist: Get those girlfriends into Cocoa programming and hire them too ;) )
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Anyway, life permitting, we intend to go in 2008 and get to the fast pace of development that typified the first five years of Mellel (2002-2006)...

Ori

I'll believe it when I see it … …
konanken
New to all this

Post by konanken »

Timotheus wrote:Anyway, life permitting, we intend to go in 2008 and get to the fast pace of development that typified the first five years of Mellel (2002-2006)...

Ori

I'll believe it when I see it … …

Get a grip man.