Citation format

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ppnkg
Read the guide!

Citation format

Post by ppnkg »

Hi,

I was wondering again how one can achieve the Author (year) intext citation in Mellel. (E.g.: ...as Lenin (1964) argues,....). I think I've read something about this before, but I'm writing here because I need a quick answer, so thanks a lot for any help.

g
verma
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Citation format

Post by verma »

ppnkg wrote:Hi,

I was wondering again how one can achieve the Author (year) intext citation in Mellel. (E.g.: ...as Lenin (1964) argues,....). I think I've read something about this before, but I'm writing here because I need a quick answer, so thanks a lot for any help.

g
probably depends on what Bib.Manager you're using. If you're using Sente, I could detail the process.
ppnkg
Read the guide!

Post by ppnkg »

I'm using Bookends. But is this a bib software issue?
verma

Post by verma »

ppnkg wrote:I'm using Bookends. But is this a bib software issue?
I'm using Sente and it definitely is a setting in Sente: the way the Mellel document looks after scanning is determined by settings made in Sente. I can have it look as in Plum [1649] or (Plum [1649]) or whatever - but it's Sente's handling entirely.

Agreed, you can double-click on the reference and then there will be a Mellel pop-up window with some options and you'll be able to modify some text options, but that's just for each individual case then. Your bibmanager will allow you an automatic way of setting that option.
ozean

Post by ozean »

I guess your problem is that what appears in your text (after scanning citations) is

…as Lenin (Lenin 1964) argues,…

instead of what you want

…as Lenin (1964) argues,…

to suppress the name in a rendered citation you have to enter a % in front of the citation. I.e. you double-click the citation and then you put the % in front of the non-rendered citation in the upper box – this should look something like this

%Lenin, 1964, #1234565

Hope this helps
moineau
Already downloaded the guide

Post by moineau »

Lenin in 1964 ? Which Lenin ? The Lenin I know is dead in 1924. :lol:
ppnkg
Read the guide!

Post by ppnkg »

Thanks a lot for the comments!

%citation is what I do at the moment. This means I have to add the author's name manually. Hehe, incredibly, some things were easier to do with latex! I could bring it up as an issue for future improvements as this has to do with mellel's formatting.

:D Lenin (1964), I guess I had in mind something from the collected works...
konstzorro
New to all this

Post by konstzorro »

Thanks Ozean, this tiny piece of information saved me a lot of time...
ozean wrote:I guess your problem is that what appears in your text (after scanning citations) is

…as Lenin (Lenin 1964) argues,…

instead of what you want

…as Lenin (1964) argues,…

to suppress the name in a rendered citation you have to enter a % in front of the citation. I.e. you double-click the citation and then you put the % in front of the non-rendered citation in the upper box – this should look something like this

%Lenin, 1964, #1234565

Hope this helps