improved German hyphenation

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Reiner
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Reiner »

I made some more changes (something about 400) to the hyphenation dic and I estimate I reworked 80% of the exceptions now, so I think the day is coming nearer when the improved dictionary can be officially released.

But please keep on with hardest possible testings. Every change is a possible new source of mishyphenation.

here are the new files:
[/quote]
Reiner
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

I have a dumb question how to hyphenate superlatives: Is "saubers-te" correct or "sauber-ste"? The rule is to hyphenate as it is spoken and somehow I thought I'm always saying "saubers-te" but now I run into doubts if not "sauber-ste" (which definitely was correct following the old rules) is correct.

Thanks in advance.
Reiner
ozean

Post by ozean »

If I speak it for myself I would say sau-ber-ste …
signinstranger

Post by signinstranger »

Reiner wrote:I have a dumb question how to hyphenate superlatives: Is "saubers-te" correct or "sauber-ste"? The rule is to hyphenate as it is spoken and somehow I thought I'm always saying "saubers-te" but now I run into doubts if not "sauber-ste" (which definitely was correct following the old rules) is correct.

http://www.duden.de/deutsche_sprache/ne ... ung.php#st
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

@ozean: I would see this as you at the moment but this is in contradiction to the rule below.

@signinstrange: thanks for the link. The rule says: "von mehreren Konsonantenbuchstaben der letzte auf die nächste Zeile gesetzt wird". This would mean "saubers-te".

What do others say? Is the rule effictive in cases of superlaives also or is here an exception because if you hyphenate sauber-ste this would be easier to understand?
Reiner
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Why discussing this problem if you could have professional help from the Duden-Sprachberatung? So I just made a phonecall.

saubers-te is correct while sauber-ste is definitely wrong following the new rules.

BUT: it is recommended not to hyphenate saubers-te because this would be distorting (sinnentstellend), the recommendation of the Duden-Redaktion is to hyphenate sau-berste instead.

This means for the automatic hyphenation that the patterns for saubers-te are correct but every user should then manually hyphenate sau-berste in case of doubt. What do you think?
Reiner
ozean

Post by ozean »

Well, I would vote for the solution that produces the smallest amount of confusion – if I think about the grammar knowledge of my potential reviewers that would be sau-berste with no automatic hyphenation for sau-bers-te. But this is not a particularly well-informed opinion… ;)
Hyphenation1
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by Hyphenation1 »

Dear Reiner,

your dictionary is becoming better and better. However, I would be very grateful if there was a version for the traditional German hyphenation rules. Not everyone wants to adopt the infamous "spelling reform".

Thanks in advance,
Hyphenation1
Hyphenation1

Post by Hyphenation1 »

Some more notes regarding a dictionary for old German hyphenation rules:

The k-k hyphenation (like in "Bäk-ker") is probably too sophisticated for Mellel's hyphenation engine. Another difficult case are words like "Schiffahrt" (hyphenated "Schiff-fahrt"), where an additional letter ought to be inserted.
The only possible solution seems to completely avoid hyphenating such words. I wonder how Word and InDesign handle this...
The remaining differences are the hyphenation of words with st ("sauber-ste", not "saubers-te") and the etymologically correct treatment of compound words: "her-auf", not "he-rauf"; "Di-phthong", not "Diph-thong". (Note that "her-auf", "her-aus", "Di-phthong" and the like are also correct following the new rules.)
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Hi Hyphenation1,

thanks for your compliments. But while it takes damned long time I don't think I will also do a Hyphenation Dic for the old rules, while I have to say this would be also nice. But as I see it MHL at the moment is not able to handle the old rules correctly. The ck-kk-thing e. g. is not possible at the moment. But I already requested this feature to Ori. But I think they won't work on MHL until other more urgent things will be done.

All the best
Reiner
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

After 200 more changes I am at the end with all the eceptions. Please keep on with hardest possible testings. Every change is a possible new source of mishyphenation.

After one or two more weeks of testing I will send the files to the Redlers for an official release of this improved dictionary.

here are the newest files:
Reiner
Hyphenation1

Post by Hyphenation1 »

I have now created a hyphenation dictionary for the old rules, based on the newest version of Reiner's dictionary, with 279 patterns and exceptions added or changed.
Note that the correct hyphenation of words like "Bäcker", "Zucker" ("Bäk-ker", "Zuk-ker") is not possible at the moment. Therefore, such words are not hyphenated at all in my dictionary.
The same goes for words where an additional letter ought to be inserted ("Schiffahrt" -> "Schiff-fahrt"). Hopefully the Redlers will add these features to Mellel's hyphenation engine...
— I am going to send my dictionary to the Redlers as soon as Reiner has completed his one.
Hyphenation1

Post by Hyphenation1 »

I've added/changed 63 more patterns and exceptions; my dictionary should now be able to handle words like "Chir-urg" (not "Chi-rurg"), "ok-troy-ieren" (not "okt-ro-yieren"), etc.
Unfortunately I have no website and hence no possibility to upload the dictionary for testing purposes before sending it to the Redlers.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Hyphenation1's old rules-hyphenation-dics can be found here:

oldrules
Last edited by Reiner on Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reiner
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Here are the newest files which will be included in Mellel 2.2.7
Reiner