Shortcut to insert note

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

david wootton
New to all this

Shortcut to insert note

Post by david wootton »

As an academic author I write texts with numerous notes, and I would really like to be able to "insert note" with a single keystroke. But it seems I can't do this with a shortcut [I've tried!] because, I assume, "[insert] note" is not a main menu item but a sub-menu item. So I either have to go Insert - Note - note or from the toolbar go Footnote - note. And this means I have to clutter up my screen with menus or toolbars. If there is an elegant way round this I'd be delighted if it could be implemented! Or if I have missed an existing way of doing this do let me know! David
Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Shortcut to insert note

Post by Icelander »

There are two alternative ways:
1. Use the predefined shortcuts that come with Mellel by going to

a) Insert > Note > Edit note attributes… and
b) click on the shortcuts to select one from the upcoming list or select "-" to chose none.

https://www.mediafire.com/view/ne56o2d1 ... e.png/file

2. Use System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts to create your own shortcuts. Shortcuts created here override the predefined ones.
david wootton
New to all this

Post by david wootton »

Thank you -- the first option had escaped me and works fine. The second option I had tried and for some reason it didn't work (though I am pretty sure it did work with a previous version of Mellel on an earlier Mac OS). Your help is much appreciated!
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

The second option requires that you type the command exactly as it appears in the Mellel menu, for example, "Footnote" and not "Footnotes".

You are right, some shortcuts are not accepted, perhaps because they are already taken or will override some system shortcuts…, who knows. I have encountered this too. The solution is then to use some other shortcuts.

Try Shift+Option+Command+F for Footnote
and Shift+Option+Command+E for Endnote

Both work for me.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Icelander wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:40 pm Both work for me.
And how about you? Does it work for you now?