Blanking out on how to do this . . .

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

jzents
Read the guide, knows everything

Blanking out on how to do this . . .

Post by jzents »

I am sorry to bother the forum with this, because I'm sure it's in the manual somewhere, but I cannot remember where, nor have I been able to find it. I need to make it so that the auto title mention that is running through the document in the header doesn't start until chapter 1, and doesn't run through the bibliography, so I can change the mention in bibliography to bibliography. In other words, right now the mention is running all the way through the document, so it's giving me a "chapter: 0” where it shouldn't, and it's insisting on putting "Chapter: 6" where I want a mention to bibliography to be. If I change the latter, it changes the whole document. I know there's supposed to be a break, but when I try to use the page section break option, it shoves everything down not just to the next page, but to the page after that. Leaving me with a blank page I can't get rid of. Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure I've left out details that you need, so if you have the time please feel free to ask for them. Thank you!
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Blanking out on how to do this . . .

Post by Amontillado »

I think what you want is to have mentions in the header or footer appear differently in different areas of your book.

This may not be the best way, but this appears to work.

Create page styles with each header and footer setup you need.

Select a page style. When you want the page header and footers to reflect a different setup, insert a page style break. Anywhere after that page style break, select a different page style.

All the pages between page style breaks are affected by the new page style.

It's also quite true I don't know Mellel in depth, so I'll join you in your question.

Is this the right way to accomplish the goal of changing the mentions in different areas of a document?

Page styles are one of the things that initially attracted me to Mellel. Two critique groups were picky about format. Why, in this day and age of strong style support, I don't know.

A lessor word processor I was using handled the format change by style set swap, but it didn't support page styles.

Mellel made the swap between format requirements completely automatic. Nice!
jzents

Post by jzents »

I agree. I have stumbled into using page style breaks to get the mentions in the header to stay in the part of the book I want them to stay in. However, it forced me to set the first page number of the Bibliography manually, which I did not find to be ideal. Also, in my case using the page style break has resulted an extraneous blank page being inserted after the page style break. I have not found a way to fix that. Thank you for responding to my query.
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Amontillado »

I just noticed, you're from Edinburg - I once had a delightful five day sail, singlehanding a replica Hereschoff America, from Port Isabel to Magnolia Beach in Matagorda Bay.

Central Texas, here, not far from curiously misunderstood backwaters of the Navasota River, near Mexia.

The extra page break you're getting may be from an auto-title, which has an option to preface the auto-title with a page break.

Page numbers are controlled by an attribute in the page palette. They can either continue across page style breaks or reset at a fixed initial value.

Try this. Make a duplicate of the auto-title you want to use for your bibliography. Set its "prefix with" option to eliminate page breaks or blank lines as per your need. Make it a structure stream for it to appear in your TOC.

Add a page style break, which will also add a physical page break. Start off with the auto-title you created for your bibliography so you don't get an extra page break.

With your cursor anywhere after the page style break you added, go into the page palette, click on the page attribute tab, and uncheck "start at." That should continue the numbering from the previous page range.

In the documentation, you see that "page range" term.It doesn't have as firm as definition as most other terms. A page range is the range of pages between page style breaks.

All of the foregoing are my best guesses. Hopefully they offer some food for thought even if completely missing the mark.

Corrections most appreciated!

Best, JZents.
jzents

Post by jzents »

Thank you for that. I will try that and see. The valley is lovely in winter and fall, not so much in Summer (which is one half of the year).