Hebrew dots NIKUD

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

presence
Got the auto-title mojo working

Hebrew dots NIKUD

Post by presence »

Is there support for writing NIKUD (ניקוד) in Hebrew?
Is there any bar supported by text to insert dots within the texts?
Or is there another Mac app that can help work with text in this?
Tony Watkins
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: Hebrew dots NIKUD

Post by Tony Watkins »

I'm surprised you never had a reply to this. This is my first time in the Forums for a while so only just seen it myself, and it's probably too late, but I'll answer anyway as someone else may have the same problem.

Yes you can, but you need to install a keyboard that allows it. Tyndale House, Cambridge, supplies Hebrew and Greek keyboards and Unicode fonts to install on a Mac (windows versions too). Once installed you need a keyboard shortcut to be able to switch back and forth between Hebrew and English easily. It gives you a full set of diacritical marks, but print out the keyboard layout sheet and keep it handy because it's hard (for me at least) to remember what key(s) I need for less common accents.

You can access the keyboards and fonts from https://academic.tyndalehouse.com/resea ... and-links/
chajmke
New to all this

Re: Hebrew dots NIKUD

Post by chajmke »

Sure - there is a keyboard app in MacOS. If you have activated more than one language in MacOS, you'll see a small flag top right (between the wifi symbol and the battery icon). Click it, change to Hebrew and click "keyboard overview". Clicking the "option" key on your keyboard will show you nikkud.