New application for importing and exporting MELLEL \ WORD while maintaining the structure of comment streams

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

presence
Got the auto-title mojo working

New application for importing and exporting MELLEL \ WORD while maintaining the structure of comment streams

Post by presence »

Since we are stuck with this problem of importing and exporting files from MELLEL to the word and back, because it does not maintain a proper structure of the notes, (when there are several streams of footnotes). So we decided to put an end to it, and developed an app that fixes everything, and solves all the problems.

What does the app do?

• The app takes a clean text document exported from MELLEL with footnotes (with star markings before each note as you know), and turns all footnotes into true footnotes.
  • The application enters a code in the format @01# before each stream of comments according to the number that corresponds to that stream.
  • The application exports a Word document to a MELLEL document.
  • Before exporting the document to MELLEL the app arranges the hierarchy of footnote streams - each footnote in its true stream (according to the above code at the beginning of each note).
  • After the document is displayed in the MELLEL software each comment is placed in its stream.
If until today you could not take a document out of MELLEL and return it, including when you had to send the document to designers, proofreaders, language editors, and I understand that it stuck with you, from today you are free!

You can receive the app by email es0583292679@gmail.com
Last edited by presence on Fri May 20, 2022 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: New application for importing and exporting MELLE \ WORD while maintaining the structure of comment streams

Post by Amontillado »

Nice! One of the things I like about Mellel is the document structure is clear enough that you can extract the text of a document without Mellel. That makes Mellel safe.

I wrote an ugly, command-line Python script to do a mail merge from a Mellel document. I don't use it frequently, but when it's time to give Congress a broadsides, I'm good to go.
presence
Got the auto-title mojo working

Re: New application for importing and exporting MELLEL \ WORD while maintaining the structure of comment streams

Post by presence »

Thank you
I'm glad it can benefit not only me.
I attach a file, as it looks after it is copied from MELLEL in plain text - with ten comment streams, and how it flips after the action in the app - to a Word document with a code at the beginning of each note that associates it with the stream to which it belongs.
After re-exporting from the app to MELLEL it returns to being a text document with ten real streams of footnotes.
Attached are two files: one file before running [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zvM ... ue&sd=true] the app (clean text copied from text with annotated streams in the form of asterisks), and a second file after launching [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JFa ... ue&sd=true].