Exporting document with English and Hebrew to Word

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Tony Watkins
Got the styles thing figured out

Exporting document with English and Hebrew to Word

Post by Tony Watkins »

As far as I can see, there is no solution to this issue. Many of my documents are English but with quite a bit of Hebrew. I can export them to PDF without any problem but Microsoft Word for Mac (v. 16.63) messes it up so that the docx file is unusable. I assume I should have "export text language tags" checked in the export dialogue (not that I can see any difference in the results)?

I have tried converting the PDF to a docx file using various tools (Adobe Acrobat export and some online converters) but that's even more of a disaster.

As a simple example, this is a section of a document in Mellel (hidden characters showing):

And this is it in the PDF export – no problems:

This is from the docx export – see what happens to some (but not all!) of the footnotes, and of course the same happens if I have numbers for a Bible reference immediately after the Hebrew :

And just for completeness, this is from a PDF to docx conversion with weird extra characters – direction-changing spaces?:

Any ideas?

Since this is my PhD thesis which is nearing completion, I'm getting concerned about the possibility of needing to provide a docx version of the whole thing.
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Exporting document with English and Hebrew to Word

Post by Amontillado »

The images don't appear for me. I've done some experiments with mixing left-to-right and right-to-left paragraphs, but I don't think I'm doing what you are.

Right-to-left is not a mainstream use for me, so I'm probably missing the obvious.

Good luck!