Changing the order of endnotes

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Maximus2021
Got the styles thing figured out

Changing the order of endnotes

Post by Maximus2021 »

Hello!
I face an unusual requirement for publication.
Bibliography should be sorted in the following order: at first archival sources (in citations order), then literature (alphabetically).

For example:

[1, p.25]
[2, p.5]
[3, p.50]
[4, p.70]

1. Archival Source A.
2. Archival Source B.
3. Adam S. The Wealth
4. Smith A. Of Nation

How could I do it?
Is it possible to automatically or manually reorder endnotes?

Thank you in advance.
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Changing the order of endnotes

Post by DavidH »

It's the order of bibliography entries, not the order of endnotes, that you seem to want to control.
The automated management of bibliography and in-text citations is a job for a reference manager like Bookends working in partnership with Mellel, and I don’t believe any of the standard ones give you the degree of specialized control you want here. But once you’ve got your text in a completely final form and scanned it using Bookends or a comparable reference manager, the finished bibliography is text you can edit and reformat any way you like, as long as you don’t try to unscan it later. You could then manually collect the archival sources, manually move them to the top of the bibliography, and manually place them in the order in which they are first cited in the body of your document. You could convert the body of the bibliography into a numbered list to automatically number the entries in their new order. But you’d still need to manually insert the resulting numbers into handmade in-text citations. A lot of work, no matter how you slice it.
Maximus2021

Post by Maximus2021 »

DavidH wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:44 pm You could convert the body of the bibliography into a numbered list to automatically number the entries in their new order. But you’d still need to manually insert the resulting numbers into handmade in-text citations. A lot of work, no matter how you slice it.
Thank you. I asked this question first on the Bookends forum. And it was Jon who advised me to ask for opinions here. He believes that changing the order of links should be linked to a text editor.
Nevertheless, thanks for the recommendations!
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Hello Maximus,
After reading your post here I thought I had found a good solution for you. Then I read your post on the Bookends forum which is somewhat different. It seems you need not only the *bibliography* to be sorted in a specific way (which isn't a problem) but the *endnotes* should also be sorted in a specific way (which isn't a problem either); but then you want to use inline citations as well, together with endnotes, which is problematic. I'm not saying it's impossible, but usually people have EITHER inline citations OR endnotes, not both.

Since I don't know which one you want, I will post here two solutions for you, one for endnotes and another for inline citations. If you follow the description closely you'll see that this can be easily done. Don't let my verbosity put you off. :–)

Solution ONE (for endnotes)
"Automatically or manually reorder endnotes", as you say, is not possible because it makes no sense. Endnotes keep track of where reference symbols appear in the document. Instead

(1) create a new, second note stream and name it "Archival Source". Superscript one of the note symbols so the groups will be easily distinguishable.
(2) Choose "End of Document" as Position for this new stream. Use this stream exclusively for sources.
(3) Use another endnote stream for literature. This will automatically create two separate groups as endnotes.

(4) Next, you need to create a format in Bookends which captures archival sources. Open the Formats Manager in Bookends and create a new Reference Type (or duplicate an old Type) in your favorite format and call the new type "Archival Source". You may need to create more than one type, depending on whether your sources are books, articles, manuscripts or whatever.
(5) In the Formats Manager, select the tab "Citation Options" and enter into the "Field Order"-field how you want the sources to be output in the endnotes.
(6) Then, while the "Citation Options" window is still open, make sure you have chosen "Archival Source" in the Type dropdown-menu.
(7) Then click on the Common Settings tab and enclose citations with "Nothing".

(8) When you scan your document choose "Generate a Subject Bibliography". You will be prompted to choose a subject on which the Subject Bibliography should be based. Choose 'Reference Type' from the Subject menu and select the pertaining Reference Types. Then click OK. WARNING: if you don't select anything, the OK button is grayed out.

(9) What you should see now is a "Subject Bibliography" consisting of and sorted by the names of your reference types, i.e. Archival Source, Book, Edited book, Journal article, etc.
(10) Below the bibliography your endnotes are displayed in two separate groups.

(11) All you need to do now is to change the source numbers in the bibliography manually so they match the order in the endnote part.
(12) When that's done, delete all subject titles (= reference types) in the bibliography other than "Archival Sources."
(13) At the end of "Archival Sources" insert one or two empty new lines and type "Literature", or whatever you find appropriate for this part of the bibliography.
(14) In this part of the bibliography (= the literature part) each reference is still preceded by an opening bracket, a number, a closing bracket and a tab, like this: [1]
(15) Select all the references in this part of the bibliography and delete the unnecessary numbers and brackets with a Find & Replace action.
(16) Then sort references in this part of the bibliography alphabetically, and you're done.

Here are screenshots which show the settings in Bookends for the endnote solution:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/38fm5qc3 ... S.zip/file

Solution TWO (for inline citations) follows in a separate post.
Last edited by Icelander on Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Continuation…

Here is Solution TWO (for inline citations)

[1] In Bookends, go to Formats Manager

[2] Choose "Archival Source" from the Type menu. Don't forget to do this. This is important. Make sure you are not accidentally changing other Types, such as 'Book'.

[3] Enter "$*SOURCE*$ " (without the quotes) before the authors name (or the first Label you have entered in the big Field Order-field.) About the difference between Types and Labels, see Bookends Preferences > Refs > Labels.

[4] Click on the "Citations Options" button and then on "Built-in Or Custom" button.

[5] Enter "[" (without the quotes) into the small 'Precede number with'-field.

[6] [Next step assumes you are using some kind of external text expanding application like Typinator to make the daily writing routine easier and more pleasurable. You can perform steps 6 and 7 manually, of course, but that can be a real pain in the butt.] 
Go to Typinator and create a set named 'Bookends' (in the left column) and then an abbreviation in the field below (I suggest the abbreviation ", p" [without the quotes] ) and then enter 
", p. {^}] " ] (again, without the quotes) into the larger field below.

[7] Now, every time you execute 'Copy Citation' in Bookends, Bookends will insert a temporary inline citation into your document. Type a comma followed by "p" (, p). This will expand the abbreviation to ", p. ]" and will automatically place the insertion point before the closing bracket so that you can enter the proper page number of your source right away. The page number will be outside the temporary (inline) citation and thus survive when the document is scanned. 

Some background information: Bookends can insert incremental numbers as citations. But if text is added to the citation [for example: L 1, p. 25], the text will be deleted when the document is scanned. However, text immediately following the citation, i.e. text which is not directly a part of the citation, survives.]

[8] Now scan the document and choose this time just "Bibliography" and not "Subject Bibliography."

[9] All inline citations should have the desired form [1, p. 25].

[10] Since all sources in the bibliography are preceded by *SOURCE* it should be easy to manually group the sources and then delete the tag *SOURCE*.

Here are screenshots which show the settings in Bookends for the inline citation solution:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/43xs6fsk ... s.zip/file
Maximus2021

Post by Maximus2021 »

Hello, Icelander. Unfortunately I couldn't respond earlier.
Thank you very much for such detailed and informative advices! It's really impressive how gracefully and skillfully you solved this puzzle!
I tried both solutions and they both work well. The first solution suited me better, but it was interesting to try another.
It is especially valuable that you have shown how flexible the combination of Mellel and Bookends is.
Thanks again for your time and effort!
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Hello Maximus,
I tried both solutions and they both work well.
I'm glad to hear that the problem has been resolved.

All the best to you…