For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Vaissiere
Read the guide!

bugs and suggestion with indexing and Search

Post by Vaissiere »

Dear all

I have 2 remarks with the indexing

1. Under some circonstances,it breaks the Search and replace feature: it you select a whole word and then mark it as an index mark, then all is fine. BUT you can also mark words if your cursor is within the word (without selecting the whole word). If you mark it as an index mark, then it will correctly mark it but insert the invisible "index mark" where the cursor is, i.e. within the word. Then this word will not be recognised in a Search as there is an invisible mark in the middle of it. This can be corrected or by automatically inserting the index mark at the beginning of the word, wherever the cursor is, or my modifying the search engine to automatically ignore index mark wherever they are.

2. In the Quick index feature, I would suggest that the selected word in the text should be automatically preinserted in the Search window below. It would save a lot of time because, as it is, if you wish to make use of the very convenient MArk All, you have to write twice the list of index records. First the list and then, you have to rewrite each record one after the other in the search window.

I have one remark as regard Search&Replace within Yellow side notes

I have noticed another bug on Search&Replace within Yellow side notes: the search engine is actually broken if you replace twice (or more) the same word in one yellow side note. Currently it is as if the engine was calculating where the intended words were in the note from the start of the note (for example, let's say that the first occurence of the word begins at the 75th letter and the second occurence of the word begins at the 123rd letter) then it will proceed to replace the first word and then the second WITHOUT modifying the length from the beginning of the note. In my example, let's say my word is 10 letters long, and I am replacing it by an abbreviation 2 letters long. The engine does the job OK for the first word, BUT NOW my second word begins at 123-10+2=115th letter of the note: it will ignore it and wrongly insert the abbreviation at the 123 and 124th letters of the note. This can be corrected by making the search engine restart its letter count from the beginning of the note after modifying each word.
yours

Etienne
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Re: bugs and suggestion with indexing and Search

Post by Eyal Redler »

First, please file bug reports directly to us. I try to follow the forum but it possible for me to miss stuff posted here.
Regarding index marks at the middle of a word, the real bug here is that this breaks the spelling, I will look into it. It may also be advisable to force putting the index mark at the beginning of a word but this goes a bit agains our philosophy which is to respect the user intent, it is possible that the user intended to put the mark in the middle of the word. Requires some thinking.

Regarding copying the selected word automatically when invoking quick index, I like this idea, should be easy enough.

Regarding search and replace in the comments, I wasn't able to reproduce. I tried this:
Document with one cooment
Comment text was abcd efgh abcd abcd abcd efgh abcd abcd
find: efgh
replace: ijklmnop
Replace all - text converted to: abcd ijklmnop abcd abcd abcd ijklmnop abcd abcd
Also tried with a shorter replace: pp
abcd pp abcd abcd abcd pp abcd abcd
If there's a step I'm missing here, let me know.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW