transfering style sheets

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Giore
Got the styles thing figured out

transfering style sheets

Post by Giore »

Hello:
I just installed Mellel on a new computer and want to transfer to it the style sheets and preferences from the old one. How do I do that?
Thanks,
Giore
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: transfering style sheets

Post by DavidH »

Mellel's templates, style sets etc. are kept in the User's Application Support folder. You can locate this folder by using the Finder’s Go menu and typing

~/Library/Application Support/Mellel 5

where the ~ (tilde) at the beginning stands for the present user.

First: locate this folder on your old machine and copy it onto a flash drive. That folder will contain your existing preferences, style sets, templates, etc.
Next: locate the corresponding folder on your new machine, using the same method, and replace it with the copy of the old Application Support folder you’ve put on the flash drive.

If you wanted to bring over only certain particular preferences, style sets, or whatever, you’ll find them in subfolders within the old Application Support folder. The subfolders have just the names you’d expect. Put the particular items you want in the corresponding subfolder of the new Application Support folder, and they’ll be available the next time Mellel runs.
Giore
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by Giore »

David, thank you so much for the detailed answer.
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Amontillado »

DavidH has the best solution.

I think the App Store version of Mellel uses a different path to the templates and style set files. Mine are buried underneath a Containers folder.

It's more work, but if you can't find the right folder to copy another way to transfer styles is to create empty documents with each style set you want to transfer. Copy the empty documents to the new computer. Open each and click the Styles pull-down menu. If the style you're transferring isn't already on the new machine, it will appear as a diamond style set (local document, non-global).

Click Edit style sets. The new style should be highlighted for you. Click the "globalize" button, the little globe off by itself under the list of available style sets.

Templates can be copied in similar fashion. Create an empty document for each template you want to transfer, copy the documents to the new machine, and as you open them use File->Save as Template.

Not as quick as DavidH's method.