Reference format in auto-title styles

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Reference format in auto-title styles

Post by Amontillado »

In the Auto-title styles, there is a tab for "Reference Format."

I think I must be missing something in plain sight. Where is that Reference Format used?

A related question - if I insert a cross reference, the pop-up window will let pick a reference format to use. This is a separate format from the Reference Format in the Auto-title styles.

I can make an ad-hoc reference format and save it in the dropdown menu.

How do you delete or rename those reference formats? They don't seem to be part of the style set.

I'm worried that I might name a reference format with a snarky wisecrack about a manager. Not, cough, that I would do that. Just asking for a friend - how do you delete unneeded reference formats?

Edited with an obvious update - the reference formats are stored in /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Mellel 5/Reference Formats. I think if I delete my friend's "for the weirdos in marketing" file in that directory, I won't get in trouble.

My friend. My friend won't get in trouble.
Icelander

Re: Reference format in auto-title styles

Post by Icelander »

Amontillado wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:20 am Where is that Reference Format used?
I think it's used if, and only if you want the cross-reference to have another format than the surrounding text, for example in case you want it to stand out.

On the first screenshot the Auto-title Title has the same format as the surrounding text, whereas the Auto-title Format has a custom format (blue and italic).

If Eyal is reading this, I suggest, for the sake of clarity, to rename "Reference Format" to "Cross-reference Format".

Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

Eureka! That's it!

Seriously, thanks Icelander. I'm working on refreshing my understanding of Mellel styles. This was driving me crazy. I was overlooking the obvious.
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

A further followup, each category in the auto-title styles (TOC, mention, reference, and outline) default to the main format in the style.

I like the consistency of everything having a defined style, so that's good. The reference format is another tool to consistently format references, which is the reason for styles, anyway.

Anyway, thanks again.